Student Employment Center
2019 Student Employee of the Year
Shaneen Walter-Edwards: Western Washington University and Washington State Student Employee of the Year.
2019 SEOTY Information
25 Western students were nominated for Western’s eleventh annual SEOTY award in 2019. The winner was announced during a recognition reception for all the SEOTY nominees.
On April 12th, 2019 Western student Shaneen Walter-Edwards was announced as the Western Student Employee of the Year (SEOTY). Congrats Shaneen!
Why Shaneen? Here is a small excerpt about Shaneen's performance:
Shaneen Walter-Edwards: Program Support Staff 2
Shaneen Walter-Edwards is a Program Support Staff 2 with the Viking Union-Dean of Students Admin Unit. Shaneen’s greatest attributes are dedication and commitment to both her work but to the values of the institution. These values show up every day in her interactions with clients and co-workers. She consistently provides an inclusive, supportive and service-oriented environment. Our department has gone through many changes this year including being very short-staffed and the noise and inconveniences related to construction. Through it all, this her positive attitude and leadership have never wavered. When the Viking Union 5th Floor front desk is busy with multiple demands and needs, she handles every demand with grace and a high level of care.
She goes out of her way to find resources, answers or solutions to customer needs. In support of that care for our clients, it is not uncommon for Shaneen to assist visitors by walking them to the office or building they are looking for. She takes initiative and constant finds ways to make our office work more smoothly, which benefits the entire Dean of Students unit. Shaneen is equally dedicated to helping students outside of office hours. As an example, she volunteered to participate in the Washington Intersectional Lobby Day, travelling to Olympia to talk with legislators about issues important to Western students. Shaneen continuously serves as a leader on numerous committees, has been on the planning committee for Black History Month activities, coordinated the Heritage Dinner and spoke to members of the campus and Bellingham community at the first Martin Luther King Day breakfast this year. Shaneen is an example of a dedicated, involved student employee who impacts our office and the campus as a whole. She is a shining light for our department.
Who else was nominated?
Students from a vast array of campus departments were nominated in 2019. This is just one showcase in which the variety of skills and talents Western students bring to campus. Thank you everyone for your contributions to the Western Community!
- Connor Airis University Residences
- Rose-Lynn Anderson University Dining Services
- Sabrina Batingan University Residences
- Jonica Beatie University Residences
- Paul Bowder University Dining Services
- Bella Camacho Business Services
- Alex Covington University Residences
- Kortney Danson Career Services Center
- Rose Doster WWU Testing Center
- Cassandra Engvall Music
- Bianca Garza Student Business Office
- Chandler Kruck Tutoring Center—Western Libraries
- Jeremy Miller Digital Media Center, ATUS
- Abraham Nurkiewicz ATUS Classroom Services
- John Olson University Communications and Marketing
- Steven Simmons IDEA Institute
- Paul Spaltenstein Campus Recreation Services
- Kristopher Stewart University Residences
- Alexandra Stone Business Services
- Jack Stratton University Residences
- Hannah Svendsen WWU Foundation
- Marjean Tomer Business Services
- Brittany Villesvik Catering, Conferences and Concessions
- Shaneen Walter-Edwards Viking Union/Dean of Students Admin Unit
- Cassidi Young University Residences
National Student Employment Week is the second full week of April.
If you would like to make a contribution to help support National Student Employment Week or the Student Employee of the Year Award program, please contact the Western Washington University Foundation.